A simple and easy recipe for homemade pico de gallo! Made with roma tomatoes, onion, jalapeños, cilantro and lime.
Fresh pico de gallo is one of my favorites. The humble ingredients together create a delicious fresh salsa. On hot summer days, I love to pair it with tortilla chips and a grilled protein for a simple and healthy dinner.
- Tomatoes – About 3 to 4 medium sized roma tomatoes.
- Onion – One half of a white or purple onion.
- Jalapeños – I use two jalapenos. For less heat, reduce to one and for more heat consider adding serrano pepper.
- Cilantro – I like to coarsely chop the top half of a bunch of cilantro. I think there should be more leaves than stems. You can use cilantro leaves only if you prefer. If you don’t like cilantro, omit.
- Salt and Pepper – Adjust to taste preference.
- Lime Juice – Approximately the juice of one fresh lime.
How to make homemade Pico de Gallo
- Start by quartering your tomatoes and removing the seeds. Then chop them into even sized pieces.
- Chop onion and jalapenos. Wash cilantro and coarsely chop the top half if you are using leaves and stems.
- Combine chopped tomatoes, jalapeños, onion and cilantro in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and lime juice. Gently stir to combine.
- If you like garlic, add fresh minced garlic or garlic powder.
- For a deeper flavor add a dash of cumin
- Toss in a diced avocado
Storage & Serving
Store prepared pico in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Best if eaten within two to three days.
Serve with tortilla chips, as a topping for fajitas, tacos, carne guisada, enchiladas or salads. Also delicious on top of chicken.
Pico de Gallo
- 1 ½ cups Roma Tomatoes seeded and evenly diced (3-4 medium)
- ½ cup Onion diced
- ½ cup Jalapeño Peppers seeded and finely chopped (2 peppers)
- ¼ cup Cilantro roughly chopped
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. Lime Juice
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, jalapeños, and cilantro.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and lime juice. Gently stir to combine. Adjust salt and lime to taste. Stir in the refrigerator.
What are the best kind of tomatoes to use in pico de gallo?
Roma tomatoes are typically used to make pico de gallo. They have a firm meaty texture and fewer seeds than many other tomato varieties.
How long does pico de gallo last?
It is best the day it is prepared. Store in the refrigerator, it is best if consumed within three days.
What to do if your pico de gallo is too watery?
Your pico may be too watery if you did not remove the seeds from the tomatoes. Also be sure to dry the cilantro after washing. Some people like to salt and strain the tomatoes before combining.
If it is too watery, simply strain the salsa through a fine colander.
Is pico de gallo healthy?
Yes! It is a low calorie fresh salsa or topping. It contains fiber and various micronutrients from the tomatoes, onions and jalapenos.
If you are watching your sodium intake, you can easily omit the salt.
Enjoy this budget-friendly recipe. With just a few simple ingredients a fresh batch of pico can be made for less than $3.
Leave a Reply