Make Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas at home! Shredded chicken, sour cream and green chiles make up the filling for these tasty enchiladas. Topped with canned green chile enchilada sauce and plenty of cheese for an easy weeknight meal!
Once the lock-down is over I absolutely can not wait to go get enchiladas from my favorite Mexican restaurant. Something about take-out enchiladas just aren't the same to me. I usually don’t have many pregnancy cravings, but enchiladas are always one of them. These Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas have been on frequent rotation during quarantine, not just because they satisfy a pregnancy craving but because my family loves them too!
This is my go-to recipe for making Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas at home. With pre-cooked chicken and canned enchilada sauce this meal can be prepared in around 30 minutes. Sharing a few more tips below on how you can make delicious enchiladas at home.
If you want tasty enchiladas at home, you have to start with flavorful chicken. I prefer my chicken cooked with tomatoes, peppers and lots of spices. Tex-Mex Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Thighs and rotisserie chicken work perfectly in this recipe. If you are starting with plain cooked chicken, I’d recommend adding a little cumin and garlic powder to your enchilada filling mixture.
Green Chile Sauce
A rich, full-flavored sauce is another key component to making tasty enchiladas at home. I prefer the Hatch Chile Co. Green Chile Enchilada Sauce in medium or mild. When buying canned green chile enchilada sauce make sure green chiles are listed as one of the top two ingredients. If you have homemade enchilada sauce on hand, you can easily substitute that as well.
Tips on Softening Corn Tortillas
Lightly fry in oil – Frying the tortillas in oil helps them from absorbing too much sauce and becoming mushy. Once your oil is hot, the tortillas can be softened in 10-15 seconds per side. If you like the tortillas in your enchiladas on the crispier side, simply cook the tortillas a little longer. I like to heat canola oil in a large cast iron skillet and cook two tortillas at a time. Carefully remove tortillas from the skillet and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
Steam in Microwave – If for health reasons you need to limit fat in your diet, you can alternatively place the corn tortillas in between damp paper towels, cover with microwave safe plastic wrap and microwave them for one minute. This will soften the tortillas and allow you to fill and roll them up without breaking. If you prepare your corn tortillas this way they will absorb more sauce and therefore be softer than if they were cooked in oil.
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- 3 cups Shredded Cooked Chicken
- 4 oz. Diced Green Chiles
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1-2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 12-14 Corn Tortillas
- 1 15 oz. can Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese Mexican Four Cheese Blend
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl combine chicken, green chiles and sour cream; Mix well.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large skillet. Lightly fry tortillas for 12-15 seconds per side and place on paper towel to remove excess oil. Add additional tablespoon of oil as needed.
- Spoon approximately ¼ cup of chicken mixture into center of each corn tortilla; roll up. Arrange tortillas seam side down in 9” X 13” baking dish.
- Pour green chile sauce evenly over rolled tortillas. Top with cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
If you liked this recipe be sure to check out:
- Tex-Mex Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Thighs
- Hatch Green Chile Chicken Spaghetti
- Green Chile Chicken Soup