Flavorful chicken breasts cooked in a skillet and topped with pepperjack cheese and fresh pico de gallo!
These juicy and flavorful chicken breasts with pico de gallo and pepper jack cheese is an entrée I could make all summer! Searing the chicken in the skillet gives it a nice flavor. Topping with pepperjack cheese and refreshing pico de gallo makes it taste like an entrée you might find at your favorite Mexican restaurant!
- Pico de Gallo – I’ve included my recipe for homemade pico de gallo below. For an easy dinner ready in less that 30 minutes, you can buy store bought pico de gallo.
- Avocado – Optional, but I like to add avocado to my homemade pico de gallo. You can also top with sliced avocado if desired.
- Canola Oil – I like using canola oil for it’s neutral flavor and high smoke point.
- Seasoning – You can simply use salt and pepper or your favorite all-purpose southwest rub. I generally have Chupacabra’s Brisket Magic on hand. I like something that has a little bit of paprika, chili powder or brown sugar to help give the chicken some nice color.
- Chicken Breast – You can use two large boneless skinless chicken breasts halved lengthwise or four small chicken breasts. The recipe cooking time is based on using thinly sliced chicken breasts.
- Pepper Jack Cheese – Adds cheesiness and a little extra heat. Monterrey Jack cheese can be substituted. You can typically find this at the deli counter.
- Make Pico de Gallo and set aside. Avocado is optional but highly recommended!
- Lightly season chicken breasts with seasoning blend. I used Chupacabra Brisket Magic but your favorite Southwest, Mexican or just salt and pepper will work.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Heat canola oil over medium high heat in cast iron skillet or other oven safe skillet
- Cook chicken for approximately 4 minutes per side. A nice light golden brown color should be achieved.
- Top with pepper jack cheese and carefully transfer skillet to the preheated oven. Bake for 5 minutes or the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- Remove from oven. Top each chicken breast with a generous scoop of pico de gallo before serving.
What should I serve with this Mexican skillet chicken?
Serve chicken breast with Spanish rice and borracho beans.
Other side dish ideas include serving with a side salad, cauliflower rice, roasted vegetables and/or black beans.
How to know when chicken breasts are cooked?
Chicken needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F. Using a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of chicken is the best way to ensure perfectly cooked chicken every time.
My Thermapen is one of my most used gadgets in the kitchen.
I like to cut the thick chicken breasts in half lengthwise to speed up the cooking time.
Chicken with Pepper Jack Cheese and Pico de Gallo
Pico de Gallo
- 1 ½ c. tomato seeded and chopped
- ½ c. red or white onion chopped
- ½ c. fresh Jalapeno peppers seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ c. Cilantro chopped
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Lime Juice
- 1 large Avocado diced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 2 large boneless skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 tsp. Southwest Seasoning
- 4 slices Pepperjack Cheese
- Prepare pico de gallo and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil over medium-high heat in cast-iron or other oven-safe skillet.
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper or your favorite southwest seasoning.
- Cook chicken for approximately 4 minutes each side or until lightly browned.
- Top each piece with a slice of pepperjack cheese and carefully transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Bake for 5 minutes or internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F.
- Remove from oven and top each chicken breast with a generous scoop of pico de gallo before serving.
Enjoy this light and delicious entree!
Leave a Reply