Easy homemade dark chocolate brownies made with butter, cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips.
After my son’s food allergy diagnosis a few years ago, I really got into baking. I tried many recipes to come up with the “best-of” this or that treat, but it took a while to get that perfect brownie recipe down. I wanted something as easy as a box mix, with a consistent turnout, the perfect chocolate flavor, and not too gooey but not cake like. If I had to compare these to a box mix, I would say they are similar to Ghiradelli’s Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix.
These easy homemade fudgy brownies are the result from all my experimenting. They have become one of my kids most requested treats. Whenever I bring a batch of these brownies somewhere they never last long!
- Butter – One stick of butter melted and then cooled.
- Granulated Sugar – Precisely one cup. Too much and it will be too sweet, not enough and the brownies will not be sweet enough.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds flavor depth.
- Eggs – Two large eggs.
- Baking Soda
- All-Purpose Flour
- Cocoa Powder – I usually have Hershey’s or Nestle’s Cocoa Powder on hand.
- Dark Chocolate Chips – I really like using Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Chips in this recipe. They melt just the right amount.
How to make the Perfect Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9" X 9" baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together melted butter and sugar. Be sure butter is cooled before whisking in the eggs, otherwise you risk cooking the eggs. Whisk in vanilla extracts and eggs.
- Stir in baking soda and salt. Add cocoa powder and flour. Stir until incorporated into batter, avoid over stirring. Fold in dark chocolate chips.
- Batter will be thick. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Cool before cutting into. Enjoy!
Easy Homemade Brownies
- ½ cup Butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ tsp. Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 ½ cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9”X9” square baking pan with parchment paper. Melt butter and set aside till cool.
- Whisk together butter and granulated sugar. Add vanilla extract. Whisk in eggs, stirring until fully incorporated.
- Add baking soda, salt, flour and cocoa powder. Stir until combined. Fold in dark chocolate chips. Batter will be thick
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Something Swanky.
Can I use a different size pan?
Yes, if you don't have a 9" square pan and 8" square pan will work. It may just need to bake for a few extra minutes.
How can I tell when the brownies are done?
Look at the edges, they should be pulling away from the pan. The top should be set and not jiggly. If you stick a toothpick in the batter, it might have melted chocolate chip on it, but should not be covered in batter.
I hope your family enjoys these brownies as much as mine does!