Grilled chicken fajita salad topped with a quick corn and black bean salsa, cheese, avocado, tomatoes, and your favorite ranch dressing. Delicious lunch or dinner!
Fajitas are on the dinner rotation regularly at our house. I always like to grill a couple of extra chicken breasts to make these Chicken Fajita Salads for lunch the next day. This protein-packed salad makes a great healthy lunch or dinner!
This is my go-to recipe to use up leftover grilled chicken. Since this is usually a meal that I make myself for lunch, I make a super quick black bean and corn salsa, but if you have a little more time I would recommend the extra steps in this southwest black bean salsa.
This has so much good stuff going on in it – creamy avocado, black bean salsa, fresh tomatoes, crisp cucumbers and a little shredded cheese. Top it off with your favorite ranch dressing for even more flavor.
- Spring Mix or Romaine – I like to use a combination and variety of lettuce.
- Grilled Chicken
- Shredded Cheese – Cheddar, Colby jack or Mexican Blend.
- Quick Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- Ranch Dressing
How to Make
- Start by making the super easy black bean salsa.
- Chop and wash all vegetables.
- Layer lettuce, black bean salsa, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, shredded cheese and grilled chicken on a large bowl or plate.
Serve with your favorite ranch dressing.
- Swap steak for grilled chicken
- Top with crunchy pepitas or tortilla strips
- Top it with fresh pico de gallo
- If you have extra time make this Southwest Corn and Black Bean Salsa
Storage and Serving
- Best assembled just before serving.
- You can prepare this family style in a large salad bowl or assembled individually on plates.
- Chicken can be served hot or cold depending on personal preference.
Chicken Fajita Salad
Quick Black Bean Salsa
- 1 - 14.5 oz can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 - 14.5 oz can Corn drained
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- 2 tablespoons Chunky Salsa
- 6 cups Romaine Lettuce chopped
- 1 cup Tomato chopped
- 1 Cucumber Sliced
- 1 large Avocado sliced
- ½ cup Mexican Blend Cheese Shredded
- 2 cups Grilled Chicken chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine black beans, corn, cumin, and salsa. Mix and set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with lettuce. Top with tomato, cucumber, avocado, cheese, black bean mixture and grilled chicken.
What is the best salad dressing for a fajita salad?
I enjoy this with a nice jalapeno or homemade buttermilk ranch dressing.
If you are looking for something lighter and store bought, Bolthouse Farms Creamy Cilantro Avocado Dressing is good. Another option would be a lime flavored vinaigrette.
Do I have to use fajita chicken?
No, any basic flavored grilled chicken would work well in this recipe. Leftover steak too!
Is Chicken Fajita Salad healthy?
Yes! This is a great protein-packed salad with lean grilled chicken. Not to mention the fiber and nutrients from the black bean salsa, avocados, and tomatoes.
If you are looking to make it lighter, you can always omit the shredded cheese and use salsa or a vinaigrette in place of the ranch for the dressing.
Thanks for stopping by. Y'all come back soon!
More salad recipes:
Chicken Fajita Salad was originally published on My TX Kitchen in July 2014. Updated with new photos and text in March 2023.