An easy recipe for homemade buttermilk ranch dressing made with buttermilk, mayonnaise and dried herbs and spices.
My family loves ranch dressing, specifically homemade ranch dressing. This is the very basic recipe I make for my family at least once a week.
In my humble opinion, this recipe tastes similar to Hidden Valley Ranch and what you find served at lots of little restaurants across Texas. There are lots of more “fancy” recipes for ranch on the internet. This one is simple, takes less than five minutes and requires no chopping.
Sometimes you just need a recipe that easy when you're trying to get dinner on the table.
- Mayonnaise – Use a high-quality mayonnaise. Duke’s is the only mayo I use in my house.
- Buttermilk – I usually buy H-E-B brand cultured low-fat buttermilk. Just be sure to give it a good shake before using.
- Dried Parsley
- Black Pepper – You can use regular black pepper of coarse ground to taste more like Texas Roadhouse Ranch.
- Salt – I use plain iodized table salt.
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Thyme and Dill – Just a pinch of these two.
How to make homemade buttermilk ranch
- Whisk together all the ingredients. You want to be sure to really whisk it for a good 30 seconds to get a nice even consistency.
- I like to mix up my ranch dressing in a larger pyrex measuring cup and the pour into a mason jar for easy storage.
Note: The dressing will thicken a little bit as you refrigerate. If you prefer a thicker dressing, I suggest using less buttermilk to begin with.
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- ½ tsp. Dried Parsley
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp. Onion Powder
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Pinch of dried dill
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk together all ingredients for at least 30 seconds.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
How long does buttermilk ranch last for?
Go by the use by date on your buttermilk container. Buttermilk is usually good for about two weeks from purchase.
Does buttermilk ranch need to be refrigerated?
Yes store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. I like to use a mason jar.
Is homemade buttermilk ranch healthy?
Ranch is a creamy salad dressing and therefore higher in total calories and fat. To reduce overall calories, you can make it with light mayo.
Some people need to consume more calories and adding ranch as a dip or dressing can be a good option to help you get more.
In my experience as a mom, having homemade ranch also increases the amount of fresh vegetables my children are willing to eat.
How much is a pinch of dried dill and thyme?
A "pinch" as a measuring unit is approximately 1/16 tsp.
More ranch recipes from My TX Kitchen:
A bonus to making your own ranch dressing is some savings for your grocery budget.
Leave a Reply