Quick and easy five ingredient chicken fajita marinade recipe. Savory and citrus flavored marinade makes for delicious chicken fajitas.
When I need a quick marinade for grilled chicken fajitas this is my go-to recipe. Simple ingredients such as fresh limes, Worcestershire sauce and dried spices are all you need to make this flavorful recipe.
Using lemon pepper helps quickly add the fresh citrus flavor that you find in many Tex-Mex restaurants. Worcestershire adds the savory element, while garlic powder helps to balance the citrus flavor.
This quick and easy chicken fajita marinade recipe uses just five ingredients.
- Lime Juice – The juice of two limes.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Adds savory flavor. Soy sauce can be substituted.
- Oil – A neutral flavor oil like canola oil is preferred. You can also use a mild flavored olive oil.
- Lemon Pepper - Fajita spice blends often have citric acid. This helps quickly add the citrus and pepper flavor to the chicken.
- Garlic Powder - A staple in many Tex-Mex recipes.
Making the Chicken Fajita Marinade
- Whisk together lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, canola oil, and spices in small bowl.
- Place chicken in a gallon bag or glass bowl and pour marinade over chicken. Flip chicken over occasionally.
- Let chicken marinade for at least 30 minutes but no longer than 6-8 hours.
Tips on marinading chicken fajitas
- For thick boneless skinless chicken breasts, I recommend butterflying the breasts for more even cooking.
- This marinade will add flavor to chicken in as little as 15 minutes. I usually marinade my chicken fajitas for 30-45 minutes.
- Use a gallon size storage bag to combine chicken and marinade. It makes for easy cleanup.
- You can use this marinade with chicken breasts, thighs or tenderloins.
How to cook chicken fajitas
I prefer grilled chicken for fajitas. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 5-6 minutes each side or until internal temperature reaches 165F. Remove chicken from grill and let sit 5 minutes until slicing.
Storage & Serving
Discard any leftover marinade that has been in contact with raw chicken.
Easy Chicken Fajita Marinade
- ¼ c. Lime Juice 2 limes
- 1 Tbsp. Wortschesire Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 2 tsp. Lemon Pepper
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 lbs Chicken Breast boneless skinless
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, wortschesire sauce, oil, lemon pepper and garlic powder.
- Place chicken in a gallon Ziploc bag or large glass bowl. Pour marinade over chicken breasts and let sit for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- To grill: Heat grill to medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 5-6 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165F. Cooking time will depend on thickness of chicken. Remove chicken from grill and let sit 5 minutes before slicing.
How long do I need to marinade the chicken?
Marinade the chicken for a minimum of 30 minutes but no longer than 6-8 hours. Marinading chicken for too long in an acidic mixture can result in a change in texture of the meat.
What can I substitute for Worcestershire sauce?
Soy sauce can be substituted in the fajita marinade as it will also give it the savory, umami flavor.
More recipes you may also enjoy: