We spent a pretty penny on building a raised garden bed in our backyard this spring. I didn’t realize how much soil cost and how much you would actually need to fill the garden beds. After planting, the fledgling plants weathered through panhandle wind storms, a late snow, hail and now the scorching heat of summer. But alas, the plants that survived are finally starting to produce! A lone zucchini plant is our best producer.
Waste not, want not. I’m determined to use everything we harvest from the garden. Needless to say, I’ve been trying out lots of zucchini recipes. This savory Tex-Mex Beef and Zucchini Skillet was developed when I couldn’t find any dinner recipes using zucchini that I thought my family would like.
This skillet dinner is loaded with vegetables and legumes which add soluble and insoluble fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants. Along with many other nutrients, lean ground beef contains iron and zinc. This is an easy kid-friendly recipe that helps me to make sure my toddler and 8 month old are getting these important minerals in their diet.
Like M&M’s in trail mix, my toddler wanted to pick out all the zucchini to eat. I’m not sure if he would have liked zucchini anyway or if it’s from being a part of the process from planting to harvest. Whichever it is, it makes this dietitian mom happy to see my two-year old choosing to eat his vegetables.
Tex-Mex Beef and Zucchini Skillet
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper diced
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin
- 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- ½ tsp. Oregano
- 1 15.25 oz. can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz. can Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
- 1 14 oz. can Corn drained
- 1 large Zucchini chopped
- Toppings: Cheese, Cilantro
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and green bell pepper for 3-5 minutes or until slightly tender. Add ground beef and garlic to skillet. Brown ground beef, breaking up into pieces. Drain and discard any drippings.
- Stir in spices, black beans, tomatoes, corn and zucchini. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low, stirring occasionally. Cook for 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with shredded cheese and cilantro.
Serve over rice, tortilla chips,
tortillas or lettuce.
Recipes you may also enjoy: