A ground beef skillet meal loaded with zucchini, corn, bell pepper and beans.
This savory Tex-Mex Ground Beef and Zucchini Skillet was developed after my first year of backyard gardening, when we had a bumper crop of zucchini. It's an easy one skillet meal with lots of colorful vegetables and Mexican spices.
This simple recipe makes for an easy summer dinner.
This ground hamburger and zucchini skillet is loaded with corn, zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes and beans.
- Olive Oil
- Onion – One diced yellow or white onion.
- Green Bell Pepper – One diced bell pepper.
- Garlic – I like to keep minced garlic on hand.
- Ground Beef – I use lean ground beef or venison.
- Spices: Cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper
- Black beans – A drained can of beans. Pinto beans may be substituted.
- Tomatoes – A small can of Rotel or other diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- Corn – Add about one cup of corn. Can use fresh, frozen, or canned.
- Zucchini – One large zucchini cut into small pieces.
Serve this over rice, tortillas, pasta, tortilla chips or lettuce. Topping ideas include shredded cheese, cilantro, and guacamole.
Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Tex-Mex Beef and Zucchini Skillet
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper diced
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin
- 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- ½ tsp. Oregano
- 1 - 15.25 oz. can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 - 10 oz. can Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
- 1 - 14 oz. can Corn drained
- 1 large Zucchini chopped
- Toppings: Cheese, Cilantro
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and green bell pepper for 3-5 minutes or until slightly tender. Add ground beef and garlic to skillet. Brown ground beef, breaking up into pieces. Drain and discard any drippings.
- Stir in spices, black beans, tomatoes, corn and zucchini. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low, stirring occasionally. Cook for 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with shredded cheese and cilantro.
Serve over rice, pasta, tortilla chips,
tortillas or lettuce.
Healthy Ground Beef Skillet Meal
This skillet dinner is loaded with vegetables and legumes which add soluble and insoluble fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants. Along with many other nutrients, lean ground beef contains iron and zinc.
This is an easy kid-friendly recipe that helps me to make sure my toddler and 8 month old are getting these important minerals in their diet. Like M&M’s in trail mix, my kids always pick out all the zucchini to eat first.
Recipes you may also enjoy: