Protein pasta tossed with sautéed baby spinach, parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes comes together in less than 20 minutes for an easy and healthy lunch.
“Protein” pasta has evolved since it first hit the market a few years ago. Now there are options available that taste just like regular pasta. Ten grams of protein from pasta, yes please! As someone who typically prefers a meatless lunch, this has expanded my lunch possibilities. Make this Protein Pasta with Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes ahead of time for a warm and healthy lunch.
Easy and Healthy Lunch
This recipe is easy and takes less than 20 minutes to prepare. Cook your choice of protein pasta, sautee spinach and then add it to the pasta along with some parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes for flavor.
- Protein Pasta – I used Barilla Protein Plus Penne Pasta which was available at Wal Mart. It tastes just like regular pasta. You can use regular pasta or your favorite protein pasta.
- It will seem like a lot of spinach, but it cooks down!
- For more flavor, garlic is a great addition. You can add it while cooking spinach.
- There is usually enough olive oil on the spinach to lightly coat the pasta. You can add a little more if your pasta is too dry.
Protein Pasta Nutrition
Plant-based protein pasta is a great lunch addition whether you are a vegetarian or just planning a meatless meal. Barilla protein pasta contains 10 grams of protein per 2 ounce serving and 4 grams of dietary fiber. It is made from a blend of wheat and legumes. There are several other brands of protein plant-based pastas, they are typically made from a combination of lentils, garbanzo beans and soy.
Protein Pasta + Sauteed Spinach & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1 - 14.5 oz box Protein Pasta cooked and drained
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 11 oz. Baby Spinach
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
- ½ cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- Prepare pasta according to direction on package. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the spinach one handful at a time until all of it has been added to the skillet. Cook until spinach wilts (3-5 minutes). Season spinach with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir cooked spinach into pasta. Mix-in sun-dried tomatoes and parmesan cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
More healthy recipes:
Sounds really great! What kind of pasta do you recommend?
I really like the Barilla Protein Plus pasta. Tastes just like regular pasta to me.
I Tried this for dinner and it came out so good I altered it a tad bit but it came out so delicious. The recipe is straightforward and easy to follow, look forward to making more recipes from you.
Love to hear that! Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the internet 🙂