Roasted cauliflower with shredded parmesan - the easy and most delicious way to prepare cauliflower!
A wise nutrition professor once posed the question to a class full of aspiring RD’s “Is it better to avoid vegetables with fats and cheese or to not eat vegetables at all?”
From then on, I became sold on the idea that vegetables with a little fat and cheese were better that no vegetables at all. This Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower is a great example of that. Would my kids eat plain steamed cauliflower? Probably not! But they (along with everyone I make this for) are eager to sample some of this cauliflower right out of the oven. If you’ve never liked cauliflower or aren’t quite sure what to do with it, this is the PERFECT recipe for you!
This recipe takes about 5 minutes to prepare and 20-30 minutes to cook depending on your oven. Not much time for a delicious side dish. This recipe can be enjoyed year-round but I think it pairs particularly well with fall and winter flavors.
Tips on Making Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Cut cauliflower into roughly the same size pieces so that it cooks evenly.
- Cut cauliflower into smaller pieces for a shorter cooking time. If you cut into larger pieces, it takes approximately 40 minutes to roast.
- Different ovens cook differently. Watch the cauliflower closely to make sure it doesn’t char. Flip cauliflower with a spatula if it is cooking too much on the bottom.
- I prefer to not flip the Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower during cooking because I think you lose some of the toasty parmesan goodness, but this really depends on your oven!
- Shredded Parmesan - can be substituted with grated parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Olive Oil
- Cauliflower - Look for cauliflower that is a nice creamy white color with little to no discoloration or blemishes. If it has as strong smell, it is likely past its prime.
- Optional - Garlic and Italian seasoning are also delicious mixed in with the cauliflower!
Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- 3 cups cauliflower cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Shredded Parmesan
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup.
- In a medium bowl, toss cauliflower with olive oil, stirring until each piece is coated. Add additional oil if needed. Mix in parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Spread cauliflower onto baking sheet, allowing space between the pieces. Do not crowd the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cauliflower is light golden brown and tender.