Chicken Spaghetti made from scratch with a creamy southwest sauce and roasted Hatch Green Chiles.
Hatch Green Chiles are arguably the best thing about late July to early August. I love adding fresh green chiles to my cooking and trying what other local chefs come up with. Hatch Green Chile Chicken Spaghetti is one of the original recipes from my blog in 2014.
I hope y'all enjoy and if you have a favorite recipe that uses Hatch Green Chiles, I'd love to know about it!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Spaghetti – Use whole wheat, regular or a protein blend.
- Butter – Can use butter or oil.
- Milk – Can use 1 cup chicken broth + 1 cup heavy cream instead
- Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base – can substitute granulated chicken bouillon or chicken broth (see above)
- Spices – Cumin, Chili Powder, Salt
- Hatch Green Chile Peppers – tastes best when made with fresh roasted chiles! Can substitute roasted poblanos.
- Diced Tomatoes – Regular or fire-roasted
- Cheese – Mexican Blend or Cheddar
- Sour Cream – Or substitute cream cheese
- Chicken – For a time-saver use rotisserie chicken. I usually keep Tex-Mex Chicken Thighs in the freezer for use in recipes like this.
How to Make Hatch Green Chile Chicken Spaghetti
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- Sauté’ onion and garlic. Whisk in flour and cook.
- Add milk + chicken bouillon base and spices. Cook on medium-low heat until sauce thickens.
- Mix in chopped hatch green chiles and diced tomatoes.
- Stir in sour cream and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Combine sauce with pasta and chicken.
- Optional: Top with extra shredded cheese and bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.
This recipe was a hit in our household. My husband thought it ranked right up there with my King Ranch Chicken Casserole. Creamy, savory, comfort food from scratch.
Hatch Green Chile Chicken Spaghetti
- 12 ounces Spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Onion diced
- 1 teaspoon Garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 teaspoon Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 cup Hatch Green Chile Peppers roasted, skinned, seeded and diced
- 1 14.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes drained
- 2 ½ cups Mexican Blend Cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Light Sour Cream
- 2 cups cooked Shredded Chicken
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package direction. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a Dutch Oven or large skillet. Saute onion in melted butter over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Whisk flour into butter mixture; cook for 1 minute. Add milk, bouillon, salt, cumin and chili powder. Cook over medium-low heat until sauce has thickened, stirring frequently.
- Fold green chilies and diced tomatoes into sauce. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups cheese and sour cream; stir until cheese is melted.
- Add shredded chicken and pasta, tossing until pasta is coated in sauce. If desired, top with ½ cup shredded cheese and pop in oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Enjoy! Y'all come back soon!
Recipes you may also enjoy:
Hatch Green Chile Chicken Spaghetti was originally published in August 2014. Updated August 2021 with new pictures and text.