Broccoli florets tossed with a chipotle butter mixture and roasted until lightly brown and tender.
Chipotle Butter Roasted Broccoli is the most flavorful broccoli recipe I know of. Savory and with just a little bit of heat from the chipotle chili powder. This was the first vegetable dish I made for my now husband and it remains a favorite in our house all these years later!
- Broccoli – Use fresh broccoli crowns or florets. For even cooking, cut into same size pieces around 1” long.
- Butter – Can use butter or olive oil.
- Chipotle Chili Powder – I buy this from the bulk section at HEB, you can also find it on Amazon.
- Sugar – just a pinch to help the browning process.
- Melt the butter and add in the spices. Don't worry which you see there is a pinch of sugar, this is just to help the browning process.
- Toss the broccoli in the Chipotle-Butter mixture. Make sure every floret gets a little butter. You can do this process in two batches if needed.
- Evenly place the broccoli on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet for easy clean-up!
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time. Be sure and stay close by, this batch only took 10 minutes in my oven. Overcooking broccoli results in undesirable flavors and texture.
- The broccoli should be lightly browned and tender.
Chipotle Butter Roasted Broccoli makes a delicious side dish. I regularly serve it with my Easy Oven-Baked Salmon and sweet potatoes. It also pairs well with steak and potato wedges.
This is the type of dish I like to serve to people who “don’t like vegetables”. Once you try a broccoli recipe so flavorful, I think it can help someone be open to trying more vegetables.
Chipotle Butter Roasted Broccoli
- 1 pound Broccoli Crowns cut into Florets
- 2 Tbsp. Butter Melted
- ½ tsp. ground Cumin
- ½ tsp. ground Chipotle Chili Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Sugar
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Wash broccoli crowns and cut into florets.
- Melt the butter in the microwave. Add the cumin, chili powder, salt and sugar to the melted butter.
- Pour butter mixture into a large bowl. Toss the broccoli florets in the butter mixture. Be sure that each piece of broccoli gets some of the butter mixture.
- Place broccoli evenly spaced on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake broccoli for 10-15 minutes, stirring half way through. Broccoli should be tender and lightly browned.
Enjoy. Y'all come back soon!
Chipotle Butter Roasted Broccoli was originally published on My TX Kitchen on May 19, 2014. Updated in January 2022 with additional pictures and text.