Strawberry banana beet smoothie is a vibrant blend of frozen strawberries, banana, earthy beets, Greek yogurt and a splash of milk.
Have y’all ever tried beets? Really though, have you? Before incorporating them into my diet, I was one of the many who passed them by on salad-bars and far corners of the produce department. It turns out those little dark-hued veggies pack some real nutritional and heart health benefits.
Smoothies can be a really good option to get produce into your diet, especially for people who don't naturally love to eat their fruits and veggies.
- Frozen strawberries - I always keep a bag in my freezer for whipping up smoothies. Whole or sliced with no added sugar.
- Sliced beets - If you are using canned beets, be sure to pick up the ones that say ' no salt added'. If you use salted or pickled beets the taste will not be the same
- Greek yogurt – Tested with Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt.
- Banana – One banana.
- Milk – Tested with 2% milk but any milk will work.
Benefits of beets
Without getting too technical, here are a few benefits of consuming beets¹:
- Beets contain dietary nitrates which are converted to nitric oxide. Nitric oxide causes your blood vessels to temporarily dilate. There are multiple studies regarding the impact of beet consumption on hypertension.
- Some studies show beet consumption may boost athletic performance
- Beets are low in calories and a good source of fiber
Those are just a few of the potential reasons to incorporate them into your diet. Several other studies are investigating their potential impact on aging and brain health, heart health and athletic performance.
- This strawberry banana beet smoothie makes 4 servings.
- Be sure to drain the canned beets.
- Frozen strawberries work best in this recipe.
- The smoothie has a lightly sweet flavor with just a hint of earthiness from the beets.
Strawberry Banana Beet Smoothie
- 1 Blender
- 3 cups Frozen Strawberries
- 1 - 15 oz. can Sliced Beets, No Salt Added drained
- 1 - 5.3 oz. container Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 1 Banana
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- Combine all ingredients in blender in listed order. Blend until liquid consistency is reached. Blend the ingredients on high speed until everything is well combined and you achieve a smooth consistency. This usually takes a minute or two, but it can vary depending on the power of your blender.
My husband swears he feels better almost instantly after drinking some of his Strawberry Banana Beet Smoothie, placebo effect or reality? Not sure, but might as well find out for yourself!
What kind of beets to use to make smoothie?
This recipe was tested using canned no salt added Beets. Not all stores carry them where I live. If you use salted or pickled beets the taste will not be the same.
Fresh, roasted beets should also work but I have not tested with them.
Recipes you may also enjoy:
- Coyle, D. (2017, May 26). Nine Impressive Health Benefits of Beets. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-beets
Originally published October 2018. Updated in June 2023 with additional text.