Strawberry Baked Oatmeal is the perfect weekday breakfast. Whole-grain oats, juicy strawberries and a hint of brown sugar combine for this grab-and-go breakfast that can be enjoyed hot or cold.
Feeling extra thankful for every meal I am able to put on the table during these difficult times. One thing that has made my day easier as a stay-at-home-mom is having something prepared ahead of time for breakfast. If you are trying to adjust to a new routine, I’d recommend you try it too!
This Strawberry Baked Oatmeal uses pantry and fridge staples along with frozen berries for an easy breakfast. I developed this recipe because my kids love oatmeal but, if you turn your back on a toddler and a bowl of oatmeal it can get real messy, real fast. By baking the oatmeal, it holds together better and seems easier for little hands to manage. This can be reheated in approximately 20 seconds to reach the perfect temperature for a hangry toddler leaving you enough time to sit and finish your cup of coffee.
Note on Ingredients
Strawberries – I buy frozen sliced strawberries in bulk for use in smoothies. I prefer to partially defrost the frozen strawberries for one minute in the microwave before assembling, drain the excess juice. If you only have whole frozen strawberries they will work as well, they will have some color discoloration after baking. You could also substitute frozen mixed berries or blueberries in this recipe.
Milk – I use whole milk for a richer taste but, you can easily substitute 1% or 2% milk.
Optional Add-Ins – Strawberry Baked Oatmeal would be delicious topped with pecans or walnuts. Also a good recipe to stir in ground flax or chia seeds for some extra fiber.
- Layer one cup of sliced strawberries in baking dish.
- Spread dry oat mixture evenly over strawberries.
- Next, pour wet mixture into baking dish.
- Evenly top with remaining sliced strawberries.
Serving and Storage
Serve Strawberry Baked Oatmeal warm or cold. I like to top with plain greek yogurt.
Cut Strawberry Baked Oatmeal into squares after it has cooled. Store in air-tight container in fridge, best if consumed within five days. Extras can also be frozen.
Strawberry Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups Old-Fashioned Oats
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp. Butter melted and slightly cooled
- 2 cups Frozen Sliced Strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease a 2 quart or 13” X 7.5” baking dish.
- Stir together oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter.
- Layer one cup of sliced strawberries in baking dish. Spread dry oat mixture evenly over strawberries. Next, pour wet mixture into baking dish. Evenly top with remaining sliced strawberries.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
Friends, I know many are you are cooking more than ever while we practice "social distancing". If you need suggestions on recipes, guidance on what to feed your family or help with substitutions please reach out!
You might also like: Pear and Sour Cream Muffins