Strawberry Baked Oatmeal is the perfect weekday breakfast. Whole-grain oats, juicy strawberries and a hint of brown sugar combine for this grab-and-go breakfast that can be enjoyed hot or cold.
One thing that has made my day easier as a mom is having something prepared ahead of time for breakfast.
This Strawberry Baked Oatmeal uses pantry and fridge staples along with frozen berries for an easy and healthy breakfast. I developed this recipe because my kids love oatmeal but, if you turn your back on a toddler and a bowl of oatmeal it can get real messy, real fast.
By baking the oatmeal, it holds together better and seems easier for little hands to manage. This can be reheated in approximately 20 seconds to reach the perfect temperature for a hangry toddler leaving you enough time to sit and finish your cup of coffee.
- Oatmeal – Two cups of old-fashioned oats.
- Brown Sugar – For a hint of sweetness.
- Baking Powder
- Milk - I use whole milk for a richer taste but you can easily substitute 1% or 2% milk.
- Eggs – Two eggs
- Vanilla Extract
- Butter - Uses just two tablespoons of melted butter.
- Strawberries – This recipe is tested with frozen sliced strawberries. See tips below on partially thawing strawberries before baking.
Tips on using frozen strawberries to make baked oatmeal
I prefer to partially defrost the frozen sliced strawberries for one minute in the microwave before assembling the oatmeal. Be sure to drain the excess juice. If you only have whole frozen strawberries they will work as well, but there will be some color discoloration after baking.
Assembling Strawberry Baked Oats
- Layer one cup of sliced strawberries in baking dish.
- Spread dry oat mixture (oats, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, baking powder) evenly over strawberries.
- Next, pour wet mixture into baking dish.
- Evenly top with remaining sliced strawberries.
- Top with pecans or walnuts
- Sprinkle in ground flax or chia seeds for some extra fiber.
- Use frozen mixed berries
Serving and Storage
Serve Strawberry Baked Oatmeal warm or cold. I like to top with plain greek yogurt. Some readers have shared that they like to have it as a healthy dessert option.
Cut baked oatmeal l into squares after it has cooled. Store in air-tight container in fridge, best if consumed within five days. Extras can also be frozen.
Strawberry Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups Old-Fashioned Oats
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp. Butter melted and slightly cooled
- 2 cups Frozen Sliced Strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease a 2 quart or 13” X 7.5” baking dish.
- Stir together oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter.
- Layer one cup of sliced strawberries in baking dish. Spread dry oat mixture evenly over strawberries. Next, pour wet mixture into baking dish. Evenly top with remaining sliced strawberries.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
More healthy breakfast recipes you might also like: