A quick migas recipe for one consisting of scrambled eggs cooked with tortilla chips, salsa, and shredded cheese.
This easy migas recipe is my go-to when I need a filling, protein-packed meal and am short on time. Tasty at breakfast, lunch or even as a quick dinner.
This recipe is a quick version of a Tex-Mex fave, that serves one to two people. Instead of frying corn tortillas and sauteeing bell peppers, to save time you use tortilla chips and fresh salsa.
If you are looking for a more traditional Migas recipe, I have one on my site too.
- Olive Oil – Just a little oil for your nonstick pan. You can use canola or grapeseed oil too.
- Eggs – Three eggs. You can also use a combination of eggs, egg whites or liquid eggs.
- Half and half – I like to add a splash before whisking the eggs. You can use cream or milk.
- Salt and black pepper – Season to taste.
- Salsa – Certain salsas just pair extremely well with eggs. Don’t use one that is too watery. For the pictured batch, I used ArnieTex’s Chile Puya Salsa Recipe.
- Shredded Cheese – I like to use a good quality Mexican blend cheese, like Tillamook or HEB. Add more or less cheese, depending on how cheesy you want them.
- Tortilla Chips – My favorite chips to use in making scrambled eggs with tortilla chips are the HEB Unsalted Bakery Tortilla Chips that you get by the bakery. I know many people like to use Julio’s chips too.
How to make
I like to make this tortilla chip migas in a small nonstick skillet for easy cleanup.
Step 1: Heat oil over medium-high heat in small skillet. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, and salt and pepper.
Step 2: Pour egg mixture into hot skillet. Scramble eggs for about a minute. Add salsa, cheese, and tortilla chips. Continue to cook, gently stirring until eggs are set. Serve with additional salsa if desired.
Top migas with extra salsa, pico de gallo or avocado slices. Refried beans, homestyle potatoes and corn tortillas are commonly served as sides with migas.
Some people like to make migas breakfast tacos by placing the cooked egg scramble in a tortilla.
Migas with Tortilla Chips
- ½ tsp. Olive Oil
- 3 Eggs
- ½ tsp. Half and half
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Salsa
- 1 Tbsp. Shredded Cheese
- ¼ c. Tortilla Chips crushed into bite size pieces
- Heat oil over medium high heat in small nonstick skillet. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, and salt and pepper.
- Pour beaten eggs into hot skillet. Scramble eggs for about a minute. Add salsa, cheese, and tortilla chips. Continue to cook, gently stirring until eggs are set. Serve with additional salsa if desired.
More breakfast recipes:
I hope you enjoy this super easy recipe. I've made this for dinner more nights than I could count.