A delicious recipe for Lighter Coffee Cake Banana Bread made with half whole-wheat flour and less sugar.
Since becoming primarily a SAHM roughly two months ago, one of the weekly activities I do with my almost two-year old is to make a recipe. I guess he has really started to enjoy that time together in the kitchen. Today, every single time I opened the pantry door he would dart in there and wrap his little arms around the glass flour canister and say “help, help”. What he means by “help” is to pour the ingredients in the bowl when we cook. He was so intent and eager to “help” that day, I didn’t want to let him down. I also didn’t have a lot of ingredients on hand, except three overly ripe bananas. Perfect.
Healthier Banana Bread Recipe
I found a banana bread recipe from my Pinterest board and decided to make a few adjustments to make it a little healthier. My banana bread is made with less sugar and streusel topping (AKA less overall calories) and half whole-wheat flour. I have made this multiple times and everyone seriously raves about it!
Now, this isn’t the healthiest banana bread recipe you can find on the internet, but it’s a real crowd pleaser and lighter than your average banana bread. Happy medium and win in my book.
This bread doesn’t last long around my husband and toddler. My husband actually suggested that I make SIX loaves per week so “we don’t run out”. I laughed and told him I would take that into consideration ….
Lighter Coffee Cake Banana Bread
- 3 Bananas ripe
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ½ cup Butter softened
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Brown Sugar lightly packed
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp. Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup White Whole-Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ⅓ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ⅓ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. Butter cold
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease two 8X4” bread pans. Optional, line with foil for easier cleanup.
- Mash bananas in a small bowl. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix until incorporated.
- Add sour cream and banana mixture to the sugar/butter mixture. Mix on low until combined.
- Add flours, baking soda and salt to wet mixture. Mix just until flour is incorporated. Avoid overmixing.
- To make crumb topping, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Cut in butter until topping looks like coarse crumbs.
- Divide batter evenly into baking pans. Sprinkle 2-3 Tbsp. of crumb topping on each loaf.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy in 1-2 days for best results.