Red skin potatoes mixed in a creamy dill sour cream and mayonnaise dressing. The perfect potato salad for your next BBQ!
This creamy dill red skin potato salad is made with a combination of sour cream and mayonnaise which gives it a different flavor than most potato salads. The delicious dressing is seasoned with dill, coarse black pepper, garlic and onion powder giving it a cool almost ranch type flavor. A few hard-boiled eggs mixed in make it even creamier. Keeping the skin on the red potatoes adds some nutrients and saves you time prepping.
Ingredients for red skin potato salad
- Hard Boiled Eggs – Calls for three eggs. Can be omitted if you don’t like eggs.
- Red Skin Potatoes – Red potatoes stay firmer after cooking and the skin adds a nice color (plus extra nutrients like fiber!). Potatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin C and a good source of Potassium. This recipe uses approximately two pounds of red potatoes.
- Sour Cream – I used Daisy Light Sour Cream. You can use regular sour cream too.
- Mayonnaise – Duke’s is my go-to.
- Spices: Dried Dill, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Green Onions – For garnish.
How to make potato salad
- Prepare hard-boiled eggs and set aside to cool.
- Wash and cut red potatoes into cubes. Boil until fork tender. Drain and let cool.
- Make the dressing by whisking together sour cream, mayonnaise, and spices. Dressing can be made a day in advance.
- Once potatoes and eggs have cooled, add to large bowl; stir in creamy dill dressing. Top with green onions and/or a dash of smoked paprika or your favorite BBQ rub.
Storage & Serving
Store Creamy Dill Red Skin Potato Salad in the refrigerator. Best if eaten within two days. If serving outdoors, be sure to monitor the time it is out of the refrigeration.
Serve alongside your favorite BBQ, burgers, or picnic lunch.
Creamy Dill Red Potato Salad
- ½ cup Light Sour Cream
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ tsp. Dill dried
- ¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Coarse Black Pepper
- 5 cups Red Skin Potatoes cut into 1” pieces
- 3 hard-boiled Eggs
- Optional, green onions and smoked paprika for garnish
- Whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, and spices. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Wash and cut the red potatoes into 1” cubes. Boil until fork tender. Drain in a colander and run cold water over them to stop the cooking.
- Dice peeled, hard-boiled eggs.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine cooked potatoes and eggs. Stir in dressing.
This recipe was inspired by Myron Mixon's Killer Potato Salad.
What kind of potatoes can I use?
Red Potatoes are ideal for this recipe but petite potatoes, white or yellow potatoes would be a good choice for a substitute. Russet potatoes have thicker skin so if you substitute those, I would consider peeling them.
Can I make this in advance?
If you need to save time, I recommend making the dressing and preparing the hard-boiled eggs a day in advance. It is best to wait and combine all the ingredients the day of serving.
Can I use fresh dill instead of dried dill?
Yes, fresh dill can be used. Substitute 1 ½ tsp. chopped fresh dill for the dried dill.
Recipes you may also enjoy: