Cheesy Jalapeno Hashbrown Casserole is a rich-tasting breakfast casserole with a homemade sauce, lots of cheese and a little heat from jalapenos. Inspired by Cracker Barrel’s famous side dish this Cheesy Jalapeno Hashbrown Casserole is easy to make and requires no cream-of soups!
We love savory breakfast options in our household and comfort food. Making comfort food a little bit healthier is one of my favorite things to do. Cheesy Jalapeno Hashbrown Casserole was inspired by Cracker Barrel's famous breakfast side dish, but with the addition of a little heat from jalapeños.
- Onion - Yellow or white.
- Fresh Jalapeños
- All-Purpose Flour
- Chicken Bouillon Cube
- Spices: Garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper
- Frozen Hashbrown Potatoes
- Sour Cream
- Cheddar Cheese
- Jalapeños – You can substitute Hatch Green Chiles in place of the jalapeños, roasted red bell peppers, poblano peppers or omit completely.
- Better than Chicken Bouillon – You can substitute any dry chicken bouillon cube, equivalent to making 8 oz. of chicken broth.
- Sour Cream – This recipe has successfully turned out with both Regular and Light Sour-Cream.
- Milk – Use whole-milk for a richer taste. Low-fat milk works well too.
Cheesy Jalapeno Hashbrown Casserole
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp. fresh Jalapenos finely diced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ¼ cup Milk
- 1 tsp. Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- ½ tsp. Pepper
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Paprika
- 2 lbs. Hash Brown Potatoes thawed
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add onions and jalapenos to pan; cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add flour to butter mixture, stir for 30 seconds. Add milk, chicken base, and spices. Cook over medium-high heat stirring frequently until sauce thickens. Remove sauce from heat.
- In a large bowl combine potatoes, sauce, sour cream and 1 ½ cups shredded cheese. Mix well and pour into prepared casserole dish.
- Bake at 375F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining cheese. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Enjoy. Thanks for stopping by. Y'all come back soon!
You might also like:
Post updated April 2020.