Inspired by the Texas Blueberries I picked up last weekend, this salad is bursting with juicy berries and citrus in every bite. This was my first time to make a vinaigrette using fresh berries and it did not disappoint! Looks like I won’t be paying $7 for those seasonal vinaigrettes anymore. My only regret is that I wish I would have made this discovery sooner. All you need is a handful of berries, a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I was so impressed with myself I had to call home and tell my mom about my revelation!
I added some spiced pecans for a little crunch and sweetness. Pecans are my favorite, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand. The cardamom added a nice subtle flavor with the blueberries. Finally, a little goat cheese which mixes with the dressing to create this amazing, creamy blueberry sauce for the arugula and spinach.
This summer salad will knock your socks off and give you something to call home about!
- 1 Egg White
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- 2 cups Blueberries, divided
- ⅛ cup Olive Oil
- ⅛ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Orange Juice
- 6 ounces Arugula/Spinach Blend
- 1 small can Mandarin Oranges, drained
- ¼ cup Goat Cheese Crumbles
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a foil lined baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Mix egg white, sugar and cardamom well. Add pecans and stir till coated. Spread pecans onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, stirring as needed, until pecans are toasted. Remove from oven and break up into smaller pieces.
- Combine ½ cup blueberries, olive oil, vinegar, sugar and orange juice in a blender. Puree until smooth. Refrigerate vinaigrette until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce, blueberries, and oranges. Top with goat cheese and pecans. Serve with Blueberry Vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts Per (1/4 Salad + 1 T. Dressing + 1 T. Pecans)
Calories 180 Kcal | Protein 4 g | Carbohydrates 21 g | Fat 10 g | Fiber 3.4 g | Sodium 55 mg
Enjoy. Y’all come back soon!