A brief overview of pears along with a roundup of recipes featuring pears to try. My goal is to encourage you to explore seasonal produce and try something new!
Pumpkin seems to be the king of fall produce but there is so much more in season! I want to encourage you to venture out and try something new! Today we are going to talk about pears.
IN SEASON - AUTUMN
- Harvested in US August through October
- Pears are an excellent source of fiber packing 6 grams, or 24% of your Daily Value, per serving. The skin contains the majority of the fiber and adds texture, flavor and additional nutrients.
- Pears are a good source of Vitamin C, containing 10% of the Daily Value per serving. Vitamin C is an antioxidant and is also necessary for cell growth and repair.
- Potassium please! One medium pear contains 5% of the Daily Value for potassium.
- Choose a medium pear for a pear-fect portable 100-Calorie snack!
- Pears contain an antioxidant called Quercetin which may protect against heart disease and cancer due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
RIPENING & HANDLING TIPS
- Choose firm pears with few soft spots. Avoid pears with deep scars.
- To ripen pears, place in fruit bowl or paper bag, and store at room temperature. Don’t forget to check them daily!
- Don’t refrigerate an unripened pear.
- Check the neck for ripeness by applying gentle pressure with your thumb. Once it yields to pressure the pear is ripe and ready to eat!
- There are 10 varieties of USA Pears. They range in flavor, texture and juiciness. Over 80% of pears grown in the USA are from the Pacific Northwest.
- All-Purpose: Green or Red Anjou, Bartlett, Red Bartlett, Concorde
- Baking: Bosc
- Perfect for Snacking or in Salads: Comice, Seckel, Forelle, Starkrimson
Did You Know? You can sub pears for any recipe calling for fresh apples!
A delicious round-up of recipes featuring pears.
- Pears with Goat Cheese and Cranberries by Sweet Potato Chronicles
- Sour Cream and Pear Muffins by My TX Kitchen
- Spiced Pear and Pomegranate Crostini by Good Life Eats
- Gingerbread Pear Muffins by All Recipes
- Baked Pears with Walnuts and Honey by Skinnytaste
- Caramel Dipped Pears by The Kitchen McCabe
- Arugula Skirt Steak Salad with Caramelized Pears, Pecans and Gorgonzola by Baker by Nature
- Red Pepper-and-Pear Soup by Southern Living
- Grilled Pear Salad by Southern Living
- Pear, Goat Cheese and Walnut Salad by A Pinch of Healthy
Happy Fall Y'all!
- USA Pears http://usapears.org/pear-nutrition/
- Lin LZ, Harnly JM. Phenolic compounds and chromatographic profiles of pear skins (Pyrus spp.). J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Oct 8;56(19):9094-101. doi:10.1021/jf8013487. Epub 2008 Sep 9. PubMed PMID: 18778075. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18778075