Did you know there are only 3 fruits native to North America? Me neither. Well in case you were wondering, the 3 native fruits are cranberries, blueberries and Concord grapes. Cranberries have been enjoyed for hundreds of years for their purported health benefits. Today, most Americans just consume cranberries in the form of juice! Let’s take a closer look at November’s feature produce item – the Cranberry.
The average American consumes 2.3 pounds of cranberries per year, mostly in the form of juice!
- Harvested: September – October
- Grown in: Wisconsin, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, Washington
- 1 cup contains 50 calories / 5 g Dietary Fiber / 24% of daily-recommended Vitamin C
- Rich in a variety of antioxidants, some of which promote urinary tract health
- Research shows cranberries may reduce inflammation in the body
- May be beneficial for blood lipid profile (mechanism is not yet fully understood)
Do you only consume cranberries in the form of juice (with vodka) or canned gelatin cranberry sauce once a year? Break out of the rut and try something new using fresh cranberries! Below are some recipes from around the web featuring fresh cranberries.
- Cranberry Chutney from Epicurious
- Cranberry, Apple, and Fresh Ginger Chutney from All Recipes
- Drunken Cranberry Goat Cheese Log from Simple Healthy Kitchen
- Dried Cranberries from Cape Cod Cranberry Growers Association
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce from Gimme Some Oven
- Perfect Cranberry Sauce from Food Network
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Sugared Cranberries, Goat Cheese and Walnuts from The Gourmet RD
- Cranberry Butter from Tasty Kitchen Member Missy Dew
- Cranberry Corn Muffins from Running to the Kitchen
- Spiced Cheesecake with Roasted Cranberries from My Cape Cod Kitchen
What will you try?
Thanks for stopping by!
- Blumberg JB, Camesano TA, Cassidy A, Kris-Etherton P, Howell A, Manach C, Osterag LM, Sies H, et al. Cranberries and their bioactive constituents in human health. Adv Nutr. 2013 Nov 6;4(6):618-32. doi: 10.3945/an.113.004473. eCollection 2013.
- Wisconsin State Cranberry Growers Association. 2015.