Happy first day of fall! With temps still in the 90’s it doesn’t quite feel like it in Texas yet, but hopefully that will change soon. I think we can all agree that pumpkin has become the star of fall. You can literally find pumpkin flavored anything nowadays! A lot of autumn produce gets overlooked, like apples and pears, in the rush for pumpkin-spiced everything.
This month’s Recipe Redux theme was “First Cooking Recollections”. I started off in the kitchen learning how to bake. From a very young age, I would peer over the kitchen counter to help my mom. My favorite thing to make back then was chocolate chip cookies, not much has changed ;). In homage to my early start in the kitchen baking I decided to makeover a fall muffin recipe – Pear and Sour Cream Muffins.
These Pear and Sour Cream muffins feature diced pears, cinnamon and vanilla. I omitted the streusel topping to reduce total calories, fat and added sugars. I substituted whole-wheat flour to add fiber and used light sour cream to reduce saturated fat. The result is better than the original recipe! Almost too decadent for breakfast!
- 6 tablespoons Butter, melted
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ⅔ cup Light Sour Cream
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 ripe Green Pears, diced small (about 1 ½ cup)
- 1 cup White Whole-Wheat Flour
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk to combine thoroughly. Stir the diced pears into the wet mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and mix until well combined. Make a well in the wet mixture and stir in the dry mixture. Stir together gently just until combined. Be sure to not overwork the batter.
- Fill each muffin cup about ¾ full. Bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving. Best if enjoyed within 2 days.
Happy Fall Y’all –