“Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.” – Calvin Coolidge
Merry Christmas friends and family! Hope this finds you in good health and spirits. I am looking forward to two weeks off for some R&R starting on Friday. Even though I will REALLY miss my last rotation! After a busy few months I can’t wait to spend a few days baking, making gingerbread houses and wrapping presents. The Christmas spirit is alive and well with me.
Ancho Chile Fudge Pie overthrew Chocolate Pecan as my favorite pie a few years back. Now, I make it every Christmas! The pie is a very rich, chocolate dessert loaded with pecans. The recipe is adapted from Z’Tejas – one of my favorite restaurants in Austin.
Ancho Chiles are dried Poblano Peppers. You can typically find them in your produce section. The peppers aren’t exactly spicy, the Ancho Chile just gives the chocolate a little extra flavor dimension. For this recipe be sure to use pureed ancho chilies and not the powdered spice. I included some tips on how to make the puree below.
- 1 9” Deep Dish Prepared Pie Crust
- 1 teaspoon Ancho Chile Puree
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 cup Butter (2 sticks), melted
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Pecans or Walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make the ancho chile puree: Pour boiling water over dried chilies in small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 10-15 minutes or until peppers begin to soften. Puree peppers in food processor or blender, adding just enough water until pureed consistency is reached. Set Ancho Chile puree to the side.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Mix in flour and sugars until blended.
- Stir in melted butter and chocolate chips. Butter should be slightly warm so that chocolate chips will melt. Mix well. Stir in nuts and Ancho Chile puree.
- Pour pie filling into prepared pie crust. Bake at 350F for 35-45 minutes or until pie is set in the middle. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays friends!