It’s already time for February’s #TheRecipeRedux. This month’s theme is Break Out of Breakfast Boredom. Breakfast has been the steady, consistent meal of my day for the past five years – typically either yogurt, Ezekiel bread, oatmeal or scrambled eggs.
For this challenge, I decided to make a fruit topped breakfast bar. The bars have a thick oat based crust with a tart raspberry topping. Feel free to use blueberries, blackberries, dewberries, or raspberries. Keep in mind the raspberries are a little tart since there is no extra sugar added to the fruit topping.
Raspberry Oat Breakfast Bars - portable for those on-the-go mornings but nice enough to enjoy with tea or coffee on a lazy Sunday Morning.
Whole-Grain Raspberry Oat Breakfast Bars
- ½ cup Shredded Coconut lightly toasted
- 1 ½ cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Old-Fashioned Oats
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- ⅓ cup Butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 6 oz. Raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9X9 inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Toast coconut on foil-lined baking sheet for 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Combine coconut, flour, oats, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, combine egg, butter and milk. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until a dough forms.
- Reserve ¾ cup of the dough. Press remaining dough evenly into pan.
- Mash raspberries in a small bowl; spread over dough in pan. Crumble the reserved dough over the raspberry layer.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before cutting.
These would be delish any time of day!
Thanks! My family thought so too!
Ariella @ Perspective Portions
This is perfect! I have frozen raspberries and shredded coconut that I was looking to use together, thanks.