Easy Spinach Artichoke Dip is a flavorful oven-baked dip made with cream cheese, parmesan cheese, frozen spinach, mayo and canned artichokes hearts that will have everyone asking for the recipe!
Spinach Artichoke Dip is something I look forward to ordering at restaurants. Inspired by a recent trip to the Gristmill, this dip has the flavor and taste I expect when I think of restaurant style Spinach Artichoke Dip. I love to have this cooking when guests arrive. Not only does it buy time till dinner is ready, but it is always a hit!
The best thing is it only takes about 10 minutes to prep and can be made with many ingredients you likely already have stocked in your kitchen. I think this is the kind of appetizer that you can serve year round - from dinner parties to baby showers and everything in between!
- Cream Cheese - I use regular cream cheese but you can use reduced fat for less total calories.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – Higher quality parmesan will have more flavor, but I have made this many times with what I had on hand - Kraft Parmesan Cheese!
- Mayonnaise –Duke’s is my go-to.
- Spices: Dried Basil, Salt and Pepper
- Artichoke Hearts – can use water packed or for more flavor try marinated.
- Frozen Spinach - Uses about ⅔ of a 12 oz. package of frozen spinach.
- Mozzarella Cheese – For topping, can use more than recipe calls for if you like a very cheesy topping.
- One key to successfully making this dish is to be sure and squeeze all the water from the spinach. Microwave frozen spinach in a bowl for 60-90 seconds, place in colander and press water out, then squeeze with paper towel or cheese cloth.
- I like a good artichoke to cracker ratio, to achieve this I coarsely chop the artichoke hearts. By doing this, it makes sure it’s easy to dip a chip or cracker in and ensures you get ALL the flavors in every bite.
- I like to prep this before hand and let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, I think it helps the flavors meld. You can even make it the night before!
- Bake in a pie plate, small oven-safe skillet or ceramic baking dish.
- Add crushed red pepper of a couple dashes of Tabasco for some heat.
Is Spinach Artichoke Dip healthy?
The dip prepared has roughly 70 calories, 6 grams of fat and 2 grams of carbohydrates per 2 Tablespoon serving. If you are concerned about this fitting this into your daily dietary needs, consider serving with fresh veggies or whole-grain crackers.
To slightly reduce the calories in Spinach Artichoke Dip, you can used reduced fat cream cheese and light mayonnaise.
What to serve with dip?
Serving suggestions include a variety of crackers, sliced baguette, tortilla chips, pita chips or fresh veggies such as celery, bell pepper slices, and baby carrots.
Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 8 oz. package Cream Cheese softened
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp. Dried Basil
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- 14 oz. can Artichoke Hearts rinsed, drained and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup frozen chopped Spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- ¼ cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Combine cream cheese, parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Fold in chopped spinach and artichoke hearts. Transfer to a lightly greased 9 inch pie plate or baking dish.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.