Easy to make recipe for homemade Peanut Butter Carrot Dog Treats made with shredded carrots, peanut butter, whole-wheat flour and oats.
I care about the nutritional status of all members of my family – including the four-legged ones. They have nutritional needs too! For instance, did you know that dogs had a requirement for Omega-3’s (just like humans do)?!
We never buy store bought dog-treats. I don’t exactly know why. Instead I’ll give Clyde, our Bluetick Coonhound, a carrot, apple slices, a few pieces of leftover meat or one of his favorites, refried beans. Does anyone else’s dog love refried beans? I think it’s quite bizarre, but one day I accidentally dropped some on the floor and the rest is doggie history.
Easy Homemade Dog Treats
The dog treats are simple to mix up and only require ONE bowl. I usually don't even use my mixer. I found my cookie cutters at Wal-Mart. They were kind of big so I would usually break a treat in half. Next time I think I will search for a smaller cookie cutter.
- Creamy Peanut Butter – I used Jif Natural Creamy Peanut Butter. Look for PB with a simple ingredient list and be sure to avoid any containing artificial sweeteners.
- Milk – I used 2% cow's milk. Can substitute water if needed.
- Egg – Used as a binding agent.
- Carrots – I recommend finely shredding the carrots, they incorporate into the dough much easier.
- Whole-Wheat Flour – More nutrients than all-purpose flour. King Arthur White Whole-Wheat Flour is my go-to.
- Baking Powder
- Oats – I used regular old-fashioned oats.
Making the Dog Treats
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together peanut butter, milk, egg and shredded carrots. You can do this in your mixer or in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Add dry ingredients – flour, baking powder and oats. Mix well until a dough forms.
- Turn out on to floured surface, roll dough to ¼” thickness and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake at 325F on a parchment lined baking sheet for 15 minutes, remove from oven and flip dog treats and continue to bake 10 more minutes for a total cooking time of 25 minutes.
If you made smaller dog treats, they will need a shorter baking time.
If you have a dog that has difficulty chewing, I recommend baking these for a shorter time so that they stay soft.
Allow peanut butter carrot dog treats to cool completely. Stir in an air-tight container for up to one week. Can freeze for 3 months.
Peanut Butter Carrot Dog Treats
- 1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- ¾ cup Milk
- 1 large Egg
- 1 cup Carrot finely shredded (approx. 1-2 large carrot)
- 2 ¼ cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ⅓ cup Oats
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line large baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mats. Set aside.
- Combine peanut butter, milk, egg and carrot together in a large bowl. Add the flour, baking powder and oats. You may need to use your hands to work in the flour.
- Roll the dough out to ¼” thickness using a floured rolling pin. Cut into paw-friendly shapes using cookie cutters. Place on baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip the treats and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow treats to cool completely before serving.
- *Note: This makes a BIG batch – freeze some if needed! They last around one week at room temperature.
Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction.
It's hard to believe that out old Bluetick Coonhound will be ten this year. Clyde absolutely LOVED the treats. Make these homemade treats to celebrate the special dog in your life!
I hope your dog enjoys!
If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out my popular Peanut Butter and Zucchini Dog Treats!
Originally published on My TX Kitchen on July 27, 2016. Updated in March 2022.