Simple and practical tips for eating healthy at summer BBQ'S!
We are heading to a graduation party this weekend. When trying to decide what to bring to go along with the staples (brisket, potato salad, coleslaw and beans) it got me to thinking how hard it can be to make healthy eating choices at these type of events. I decided to share some tips that I follow to keep me on track when heading to a summer BBQ.
1. If it is a potluck, bring a healthy dish! That way there is at least one healthy option for you to enjoy.
Need Ideas - Try out Mexican Grilled Street Corn Salad
2. Drink water or unsweetened tea! Save yourself some calories so you don’t feel too guilty about having dessert.
3. Take advantage of the bountiful produce that summer brings. Fill up with vegetables and fresh fruit. These contain fiber which help you feel full.
4. Don’t be afraid to serve yourself small portions. This method allows you to sample everything that you want to try. If you find something that you really like, go back for seconds! If you start with too large of portions, you may clean your plate and end up overly full.
5. “2 Bite Rule” – if there is a more indulgent dish, allow yourself to have two bites along with the rest of your meal. That way you won’t feel deprived.
Now that I have shared my "game plan" with you, go forth and enjoy your summer cookout!
Thanks for stopping by. Y’all come back soon!