Do you ever just want to stop and celebrate the changing seasons by decorating your porch, baking seasonal breads and raking the leaves? Well maybe not raking leaves, I tend to leave yard work to my husband. I have an overflow of ideas for recipes and pumpkin carvings but just can’t find a minute to spare here lately.
This week is one of those crazy test weeks. One thing I will definitely not miss about college. I will be enjoying Fall from inside the library. I still want to enjoy the changing seasons and flavors so I decided to make my own whole wheat Pumpkin Spice Trail Mix. It smells like cinnamon sticks and fresh-baked pumpkin pie. Plus it is a whole grain snack too!
Many of the “Pumpkin Spice” items that line the store shelves are high in added sugars and fats. This version uses Wheat Chex which have 6 grams of Dietary Fiber per serving. Most Americans don’t get enough of the daily recommended dietary fiber. Added sugars and fats were also reduced as compared to other Chex Mix recipes. Enjoy this Pumpkin Spice Trail Mix as a “healthier” alternative to many of the store-bought seasonal snacks and baked goods.
All household residents (Clyde included) approved of this recipe.
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup walnuts
- 3 cups Wheat Chex cereal
- 1 cup Pretzels, butter flavored
- 1 cup Yogurt covered Raisins
- Melt butter in microwave; Stir in pumpkin spice and brown sugar.
- Add nuts, cereal and pretzels to butter mixture. Mix well to evenly coat.
- Pour onto foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 300 F for 10 minutes, stirring after five minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Fold in raisins once Trail Mix is cooled.
Happy Fall Y’all!