My hometown has arguably the best breakfast taco stand in North America. It started in a trailer next to a shady gas station. Back then, tacos were only $1, and pretty much everyone stopped there before school. You woke up early just to make it there before they stopped serving breakfast. Oh and Sundays were the worst, because they weren’t open. More recently they have upgraded to a taco plaza complete with a market, restaurant, and the same convenience of a walk-up window. Welcome to Texas my friends, where we have Breakfast Taco Plazas. Needless to say, nowhere quite compares so I settle for making my own breakfast.
Today we are talking about Migas, a Tex-Mex Comfort food. Eggs scrambled with onions, peppers, and corn tortillas. Simple ingredients that somehow transform to this magical dish. If you’ve never had Migas, you are really missing out my friend.
Migas are traditionally served at breakfast, but I make them quite often for dinner. They are a healthy budget friendly recipe. I can’t remember how many times we had these during our first year of marriage.
To make these healthier …. Rather than frying the tortillas, they are broiled until toasty. You get the same result – slightly crisp tortillas – with fewer calories and fat.
- 6 corn Tortillas
- Olive Oil Spray
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- ½ cup Onion, chopped
- 2 Jalapenos, minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 12 eggs
- ¼ cup Milk
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ cup Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
- Turn on broiler. Spray both sides of corn tortillas with olive oil spray. Place tortillas on pan and broil for 2 minutes or until crisp, flipping half way through. Remove tortillas from oven and cut into 1” X ½” strips.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion, jalapenos, and bell peppers; cook until tender. Add chopped tortillas to skillet. Reduce heat to low.
- Pour egg mixture into skillet, stirring gently. Cook until eggs are set. Top with cheese.
- Serve with fresh salsa, beans and tortillas.
Start your weekend off right with Migas, unless of course you can make it to the Breakfast Taco Plaza. Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by! Ya’ll come back soon!