Somewhere between the Hatch Green Chile Bacon and the aroma of in-store chile roasting, the subliminal grocery advertising got to me. I wheeled my buggy back around and loaded up on those pretty little green peppers. Then, they sat on the counter for days.
You see the past few weeks have been the end of summer school, consisting of a lab practical and final exams. Don’t look at recipes, must study, avoid Pinterest I told myself. Anyone who has a major upcoming exam knows how dangerous getting onto Pinterest can be. A mere 5 minutes turns into an hour. Then you are so busy planning your next DIY project/ future best friend’s baby shower you forgot you still have 157 flashcards to master. Heck, you may have even forgot you were studying for a test in the first place. Or, maybe that’s just me.
This recipe was a hit in our household. My husband thought it ranked right up there with my King Ranch Chicken Casserole. Creamy, savory, comfort food from scratch. So without further ado, I present Hatch Green Chile Chicken Spaghetti.
- 16 ounces Whole Wheat Spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 cup Hatch Green Chile Peppers, roasted, skinned, seeded and diced
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes, drained (14.5 oz)
- 2 cups Mexican Blend Cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup Light Sour Cream
- 2 cups cooked Shredded Chicken
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package direction. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a Dutch Oven or large skillet. Saute onion and garlic in melted butter over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Whisk flour into butter mixture; cook for 1 minute. Add milk, bouillon, cumin and chili powder. Cook over medium-low heat until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Fold green chilies and tomatoes into sauce. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and sour cream; mix until cheese is melted. Add shredded chicken and pasta tossing until pasta is coated in sauce. Top with extra cheese if desired.
Enjoy! Y’all come back soon!