Bad allergies with a combination of the January blues hit our household after the New Year. I know we were not alone because nearly all of the allergy medications at Target were sold out! I blame it on the crazy weather we’ve been having. The old saying “If you don’t like the weather just wait a minute…” can’t be any truer than this winter in Texas.
In a rush to get well before starting my first rotation of the New Year (pediatrics), I whipped up this Tex-Mex version of Chicken Soup. The soup is packed with flavor (and a little heat) from the jalapenos, green chiles, nopales and made extra hearty with the addition of potatoes, chicken and cream corn. Chicken Soup is just what we all need when feeling a little under the weather.
Disclaimer: I received free samples of Progresso Cooking Stock mentioned in this post at no cost. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Progresso Cooking Stock and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
This month, Recipe Redux teamed up with Progresso for the #ProgressoEatsContest to promote their new line of cooking stocks. Progresso Cooking Stock is made from simmering real bones, vegetables and herbs to produce a flavor that’s close to homemade. Simmering the bones creates a richer flavor that is great for use in soups, sauces, stews and gravies. You can find Progresso Cooking Stocks at your local grocer on the soup aisle. Progresso Cooking Stocks have no artificial flavors and with just 15-45 calories/ 95-420 mg sodium and less than 1 g of fat per serving they are a great way to boost flavor while keeping your recipe on the lighter side. We watch our salt intake and the Progresso Unsalted Chicken Cooking Stock added great flavor to the Green Chile Soup at only 95 mg of sodium per serving.
I made my Tex-Mex version of Chicken Soup a little bit healthier by:
- Using 2% Milk versus Heavy Cream
- Loading it up with a mix of veggies – including Nopalitos for added tang!
- Reducing the sodium as compared to typical soups by using Progresso Unsalted Chicken Stock
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ Onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 3 whole Jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 4 cups (1 carton) Progresso Unsalted Chicken Cooking Stock
- 2 cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 cup Milk (2%)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) Cream Style Corn
- 2 medium-sized Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- 1-4.5 oz. can- Diced Green Chiles
- ¼ cup Nopalitos, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cooked Chicken, shredded or diced
- Optional: Roma Tomatoes, Shredded Cheese, Avocado & extra Jalapenos
- Melt butter in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add chicken stock and water to Dutch Oven. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and milk; add to soup. Bring mixture to a boil; Cook for 2-3 minutes whisking constantly.
- Reduce soup to a simmer and add corn, potatoes, spices, and green chiles. Cook for ~30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in Nopalitos and chicken. Let simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Optional: Garnish with Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Roma Tomatoes, Avocado and additional Jalapenos.
My little family greatly enjoyed the Green Chile Chicken Soup and I hope yours will too! Be sure to check out all of the great recipes featuring Progresso Cooking Stocks from my fellow Recipe Reduxers.